||Recognition of prior learning (RPL)
Students must be employed as an apprentice and have a signed Registered Training Contract, stating TAFE Queensland SkillsTech is the Supervising Registered Training Organisation (SRTO).
The Queensland Government's Apprenticeships Info website provides information about apprenticeships and traineeships (including school-based) in Queensland.
For further information about probationary periods for this trade qualification, visit Queensland Training Information Service.
Participants must meet the following criteria:
- 21 years or over
- Australian or New Zealand citizen/permanent Australian resident/refugee, humanitarian or temporary visa holders
- Permanently reside or be living in Queensland.
- blue pen
- pencil HB and 2H
- yellow highlighter
- USB stick (recommended).
Students failing to meet these minimum standards of dress will not be permitted entry in to practical classes.
Personal protective equipment:
- safety glasses - students must wear these at all times in the workshop, or any eye hazard area as specified by the teacher
- protective footwear - covered uppers, steel capped toes and non-slip shoes to AS2210
- hand protection – long leather gloves to AS2161
- hair protection - long hair (i.e. hair below collar length) must be restrained (hat, headband, or hair tie)
- industrial type clothing (100% cotton drill).
The Trades Skills Assessment and Gap Training Program (the Program) is an opportunity for experienced individuals to get a formal trade qualification. It does this by:
assessing the skills of experienced individuals who can demonstrate substantial competency in a priority trade qualification
providing gap training of no more than one-third of the competencies to complete the trade qualification
Benefits to workers:
gap training options available
no cost involved for recognition of existing skills
Participants who complete the program will receive a nationally recognised qualification.
Benefits to employers:
increase supervision ratio for meeting apprenticeship requirements
increases worker knowledge, capability and productivity.