Students must be employed as an apprentice and have a signed Registered Training Contract, stating TAFE Queensland SkillsTech is the Supervising Registered Training Organisation (SRTO).
The Queensland Government's Apprenticeships Info website provides information about apprenticeships and traineeships (including school-based) in Queensland.
For further information about probationary periods for this trade qualification, visit Queensland Training Information Service.
Personal protective equipment:
- eye protection - clear safety glasses - (tinted or sunglasses not acceptable). These must confrom to the Australian Standard AS 1336 or 1337
- protective footwear - covered uppers, steel capped toes and non-slip shoes to AS2210
- hand protection – long leather gloves to AS2161
- hair protection - long hair (i.e. hair below collar length) must be restrained (hat, headband, or hair tie)
- protective clothing (100% cotton drill) overalls or long cotton trousers and a long sleeved cotton shirts are required to be worn at all times when undertaking practical training
Please Note: Additional specialist protective clothing/Personal Protective Equipment may be required for certain activities. This will be identified by Safety Signage and Instruction from teacher.
Students failing to meet these minimum standards of dress will not be permitted entry in to practical classes.
- calculator (scientific)
- pencil HB
TAFE Training – stages throughout the 4 year apprenticeship. Each stage can vary between 2 - 6 weeks full time at TAFE between Monday to Friday 8.00 am – 5.00 pm. A Booking Officer will contact the employer to confirm attendance and progression.
Year 12 graduates start trade training fee free, here’s how.
To be eligible to access fee-free training, you must:
have completed Year 12 in Queensland and hold a Senior Statement issued by the Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority or equivalent certificate that confirms you have completed Year 12 in Queensland
enrol and start training with an approved training provider by the end of the calendar year following the completion of Year 12
live permanently in Queensland.
For more information call TAFE Queensland SkillsTech on 1800 654 447 or visit Training Queensland.
Federal incentives may be available for employers, apprentices and trainees. Visit the Australian Apprenticeship Centre for more information.