It is recommended students have a minimum sound achievement of Year 10 Maths and English or equivalent.
Personal protective equipment (PPE):
- Eye protection - Clear safety glasses, (tinted or sunglasses not acceptable). These must conform to the Australian Standard AS 1336 or AS 1337.
- Protective footwear - Safety toe, leather upper, non-slip safety footwear must be worn. They must comply with Australian Standard AS2210 and be in good condition.
- Protective clothing - as per trade standards, (100% cotton drill) overalls or long cotton trousers and a long sleeve cotton shirts are required to be worn at all times when undertaking practical welding training to AS4602:1:2011. In summer the students may choose to wear cotton drill shorts and short sleeved shirts.
- Gloves - Suitable to prevent cuts from sharp metal. Not welding or gardening gloves. (Acacia Ridge and Alexandra Hills only)
- Welding package - to be advised upon orientation. (Alexandra Hills only)
Students failing to meet these minimum standards of dress will not be permitted entry in to practical classes.
- scientific calculator
- pencils 2H and 4H
- set of coloured pens
- eraser (soft)
- ruler, compass, set square 30°/60°, protractor
- A4 large ring binder
- 2GB memory stick
- highlighter pen
- ear phones
Recommended Australian Standards (AS) and textbooks:
Hampson and Hanssen, 2016 4th Edition, Electrical Trade Principles: A Practical Approach, ISBN 9780170356169
Hampson and Hanssen, 2016 4th Edition, Electrotechnology Practice, ISBN 9780170364737
These texts may be available from TAFE Queensland SkillsTech library and are a recommended reference for students during training.
Acacia Ridge: Monday to Friday 8.00 am - 4.45 pm.
Alexandra Hills April 2017 intake: Week 1: Tuesday to Friday; Week 2: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday; Week 3: Tuesday to Friday; Weeks 4 - 9: Wednesday to Friday; Week 10: Monday to Friday. Optional work experience Monday and Tuesday from week 4 to 9.
Alexandra Hills July 2017 intake: Monday and Tuesday 8.00 am - 4.00 pm with optional work experience on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Bracken Ridge: Wednesday to Friday 8.00 am - 4.45 pm with optional work experience on Monday and Tuesday. Orientation is at 8.00 am on the first Tuesday of attendance.
Eagle Farm June intake: Week 1: Monday to Friday 8.00 am - 4.45 pm; Week 2 onwards: Wednesday 12.45 pm - 4.45 pm, Thursday and Friday 8.00 am - 4.45 pm with optional work experience on Monday and Tuesday.
Eagle Farm September intake: Week 1: Monday to Friday 8.00 am - 4.45 pm; Week 2 onwards: Monday and Tuesday 8.00 am - 4.45 pm and Wednesday 8.00 am - 12.00 pm with optional work experience on Thursday and Friday.
Non-compulsory work experience is offered to students who want to find their own placement.
Students are not required to hold a White Card as this is delivered in this course. If you are a White Card holder, please advise upon enrolment and bring it with you on your first day of class.